AFCM Junior Winterschool
“I try to make young musicians realise what they want, and help them to accomplish it.” Pavel Fisher, AFCM Winterschool Director
The AFCM Junior Winterschool provides high school level ensembles from across the region with the opportunity to attend a weekend of professional development and coaching workshops. Students will receive top-level tuition, along with advice and guidance from international musician, composer and teacher Pavel Fischer. Attendees will also perform in a concert on the final day. This junior ensemble workshop is open to high school students who are members of established ensembles. Ensembles can be any instrumentation e.g. String Quartet, Piano Trio, Flute Quartet, Wind Quintet etc. (unfortunately individual applications cannot be accepted).
- Two-day workshop, 28 - 29 July
- Private coaching for each ensemble with the International Winterschool Director
- Group sessions covering topics such as improvisation and folk music
- Participation in the AFCM Junior Winterschool Performance at 5:00pm on Sunday 29th July
- Optional meet and greet and open class on Friday 27th July with Festival Artistic Director Kathryn Stott
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Double pass per student to any Festival concert at the Townsville Civic Theatre (up to $150 value)
- Complimentary AFCM Program and Welcome Pack
- Cost is $150 per student
In readiness for your application, please prepare the following materials:
- A 10 minute good-quality video recording featuring your ensemble performing two contrasting works. (Video needs to be provided via dropbox, youtube, vimeo, etc)
- Agree on a list of repertoire that your group will have rehearsed to list in your application
- Ask for letters of recommendation from teachers and/or chamber music coaches now as these can take time to receive
- Prepare an ensemble biography – tell us all about your group
- Collect all the relevant contact details for all ensemble members including the address details of the main contact person.
Students 14 years and over who are members of rehearsed ensembles are encouraged to apply.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07 4771 4144 and speak to Rebecca.