Theodore Kuchar Scholarship
For Excellence in Music
Developing Townsville's Most Talented Young Musicians
The Townsville City Council has a long history of supporting arts and cultural events in the city. One of the City's signature events is the Australian Festival of Chamber Music (AFCM). Commencing in 1990, through the vision of Theodore Kuchar, the AFCM has developed into one of Australia's most significant cultural events. Theodore Kuchar’s contribution has enhanced and developed Townsville's cultural identity both nationally and internationally. Now, in recognition of Theodore Kuchar’s outstanding contribution, the Townsville City Council in partnership with the AFCM, has initiated this unique scholarship as part of the Council's Youth Opportunity Fund.
The Theodore Kuchar Scholarship has been developed to support young emerging Townsville orchestral musicians with the costs of tuition and professional development. The Scholarship awards a Year Eleven student with $4,000, to be used to pay for instrumental tuition and/or professional development. The scholarship will be $2,000 per year for two years, paid during Years Eleven and Twelve.
The program's main objectives are to:
- Support a young emerging Townsville artist by offering a scholarship.
- Increase opportunities for creative and skills development at an advanced level.
Key Dates TBC
- Applications open - 17 August 2020
- Applications close - 11 September 2020
- Successful applicants notified of audition time - 14 September 2020
- Auditions - 10 October 2020
- Successful applicant announced - 12 October 2020
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria:
- All applications must include a short performance video of no more than 2 minutes. It doesn't need to be a professional video, a video taken on your phone is fine. Either upload your video to Youtube and send us a private link, attach it with your application form or send the video to: email@example.com
- The quality of submitted resume (maximum three pages) including results and full examiners' reports from the past two years and any prizes and associated adjudication reports.
- Recommendations of two referees, one of whom must be the applicant's current instrumental music teacher.
Applicants will be invited to audition based on the strength of their application.
- High standard of performance at an audition where the applicant performs two pieces of contrasting styles. Applicant's performance to be no longer than 10 minutes.
Please note that works performed, other than those written for solo instrument, must be accompanied. Please contact AFCM if you need assistance with this as soon as possible. Ph 4771 4144.
Applicants are welcome to engage an accompanist for their audition.
To be eligible to apply for the scholarship the applicant must be:
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- A resident in the Townsville City Council local government area.
- Learning an orchestral instrument.
- Achieved a minimum Grade Six practical level from AMEB, ANZCA or Trinity College syllabi.
- Entering Year Eleven the following year.
Applications Open 17 August