For Excellence in Music
Developing Townsville's Most Talented Young Musicians
Congratulations to Tangiora Armstrong (Euphonium) from Pimlico State High School who has won this year’s Townsville City Council & AFCM Theodore Kuchar Scholarship worth $4000. The judging panel were also very impressed with Bianca Parison (Violin) from Townsville Grammar School and have awarded her a $1000 Special Commendation AFCM Prize. Thank you to all the students who auditioned!
The Townsville City Council has a long history of supporting arts and cultural events in the city. One of the City's signature events is the Australian Festival of Chamber Music (AFCM). Commencing in 1990, through the vision of Theodore Kuchar, the AFCM has developed into one of Australia's most significant cultural events. Theodore Kuchar's contribution has enhanced and developed Townsville's cultural identity both nationally and internationally. Now, in recognition of Theodore Kuchar'soutstanding contribution, the Townsville City Council in partnership with the AFCM, has initiated this unique scholarship as part of the Council's Youth Opportunity Fund.
The Theodore Kuchar Scholarship has been developed to support young emerging Townsville orchestral musicians with the costs of tuition and professional development. The Scholarship awards a Year Eleven student with $4,000, to be used to pay for instrumental tuition and/or professional development. The scholarship will be $2,000 per year for two years, paid during Years Eleven and Twelve.
The program's main objectives are to:
- Support a young emerging Townsville artist by offering a scholarship.
- Increase opportunities for creative and skills development at an advanced level.
- August 2013 - Applications open.
- Early October 2013 - Closing date for application forms.
- Mid October 2013 - Successful applicants notified of audition time and venue.
- Late October 2013 - Auditions.
- Late October 2013 - Successful applicant announced.
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Standard of performance at an audition where the applicant performs two pieces of contrasting styles. Applicant's performance to be no longer than 10 minutes.
- The quality of submitted resume (maximum three pages) including results and full examiners' reports from the past two years and any prizes and associated adjudication reports.
- Recommendations of two referees, one of whom must be the applicant's current instrumental music teacher.
Applicants will be invited to audition based on the strength of their application. Applicants are welcome to engage an accompanist for their audition.
To be eligible to apply for the scholarship the applicant must be:
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
- A resident in the Townsville City Council local government area.
- Learning an orchestral instrument.
- Achieved a minimum Grade Four practical level from AMEB, ANZCA or Trinity College syllabi.
- Entering Year Eleven in 2014.
Frequency of Scholarship
A new scholarship will be awarded each year. Each year there will be two scholarship recipients - one being from the year before and a new recipient for the current year.
Applications will open in August 2013.
For information please contact the Festival Office:
Australian Festival of Chamber Music
PO Box 5871
Townsville QLD 4810
Phone: 07 4771 4144
Fax: 07 4771 4122